If you have read even one of my blogs, you know that I am deeply obsessed with/enamored of the desert. The immense blue skies and miles and miles of desolation are fabulous enough by themselves…but it’s the kooky inhabitants and weird hidden outposts in this vast wonderland that really enchant me.
Fortunately, I live right in the middle of the action. Just a 30-minute drive from Vegas, and I’m in the middle of nowhere — just the kind of splendid isolation I love. As an art nude model, I’m always dragging some bewitched East-Coast photographer out into the boonies…so I know the area better than most Las Vegans, who rarely bother to venture outside the air-conditioned confines of their suburban lard-assery. My love for the desert is such that I almost named myself Mojave Dessert instead of Wonderhussy…but I figured in this age of miserable spellers, no one would get it.
Anyhoo, below please find a handy map of my immediate stomping grounds. Many of the adventures detailed in my blog have been marked for your convenience….so if you ever want to check any of this shit out, you’ll have a handy guide. Links to blog entries relating to each location are provided below the map. ENJOY!
- Abandoned Brothel — right on the side of the highway, and as of 2015 in fairly good shape!
- Abandoned Hot Spring Resort in the Middle Of Nowhere!
- Abandoned Waterpark in the Middle of the Desert
- Alkali Hot Spring — charming mini-soak with free camping near U.S.95
- Area 51 — secret government base!
- Arizona (White Rock/ Ringbolt) Hot Springs — possibly my favorite hot springs ever, in a slot canyon off the Colorado River
- Bagdad Cafe — greasy spoon off I-40; the Germans made a movie about it
- Big Dune — vast dunefield north of Vegas
- Cathedral Canyon — weird, crumbling religious shrine/monument
- Clown Motel — creepiest motel EVER
- Deep Creek Hot Springs — my #1 favorite hot springs of all time, tied with Saline Valley
- Delamar Ghost Town — fantastic stone ruins of a mining town
- Dumont Dunes — vast dunefield full of rednecks
- Five Palms Warm Well Oasis — crazy little oasis in the desert neat the Mexican border
- Goddess Sekhmet Temple — fertility temple just north of Vegas
- Gold Point Ghost Town — best ghost town EVER
- Goldstrike Hot Springs — another amazing hot springs hike near Vegas
- Kelso Dunes — my personal favorite sand dune field
- Nelson/Techatticup Fake Ghost Town — poseur-ass fake ghost town outside Vegas
- Quartzsite, AZ — AMAZING little desert burg that hosts ginormous swap meet every January/February
- Roy’s Cafe — extremely Instragram-friendly old motel on Route 66
- Saline Valley Hot Springs — SUPER remote, amazing hot springs tied with Deep Creek for my #1 favorite
- The Salton Sea/ Salvation Mountain/ Slab City/ East Jesus — MOST AMAZING AREA E V E R
- Sunrise Rock/Mojave Memorial Cross — weird shrine outside Vegas in the desert
- Tecopa Hot Springs — really cool, funky little desert town
- The International Car Forest of the Last Church — bunch of cars planted nose-first in the desert, and painted all funky
- Valley of Fire — gorgeous geology, very hostile to nude models
- Wheel of Misfortune — astonishing graffiti installation just outside Henderson
- Wonder Valley — SUPER-KOOKY corner of the desert
- Zzyzyx Road — old abandoned health spa turned California State University Desert Studies Center
- Ginormous Abandoned Cement Plant Outside Vegas — very Mad Max-esque industrial wreckage; amazing photoshoot location!
- Noah Purifoy Outdoor Desert Art Museum — super funky collection of large-scale junk art
- Janie’s Ranch Abandoned Brothel — sprawling old brothel in the middle of NOWHERE, near many other abandoned ruins of fairly recent vintage
- Montgomery Pass Abandoned Casino Town — fabulous ruins of an entire casino town near Janie’s Ranch
Incoming search terms:
- wonderhussi com